Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mapguide 2.0.2 can be pretty darn Reliable

I have been running a heavy tiling job on a dual quad core server for about a week without error, which is really a great milestone for MapGuide OS 2.0.2.

It's been good timing for this upcoming project I've been working on for a while. The mapset I'm working with at the moment is 9.6Gb and we've generated about 660k of tiles in the last week.

There was some issues with a rouge SHP file which kept making 2.0.2 crash, but after sorting that out, it has been really stable. I bounced the server this morning for another reason, but I hadn't had to restart (or kill) the service once (on windows, sigh) in over a week.

I did have the SDF & SHP providers excluded in this configuration from the connection pool.

In other Mapguide Related News

Mapguide OS 2.1 beta is going to drop soon

Helio has posted his MapGuide CMake patches, this should make building MapGuide one hell of a lot easier on linux!

Fusion is at 1.1 RC as well and hopefully makes it into 2.1..the speed at which the Sheboygan sample loads in 1.1 is enough to usher in a lot more users

I'm just hoping the Mapguide stability issues with GDAL are finally resolved in this build set ( 3.4 & 2.1), I am yet to see it really reliably working without crashing the server either MapGuide 1.2 or 2.0

What do you need to do?

If you use any of this software (MGE Users as well!), check the osgeo trac for any known bugs you have and make sure they are logged, add any useful insight into existing issues if you have some. then try and find some time to test those problem with the upcoming beta's

Remember, if you don't report your bugs, how do you expect them to get fixed?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On the new Cmake build method, I did not understand this step:

Apply both patches in a full MgDev checkout ( trunk ). Can you clue me in as to how the patches are applied?