Saturday, September 22, 2007

Windows Firewalls

So I have been on a journey thru firewalls..... I just un-installed Sunbelt Kerio Firewall coz i had a blue screen of death with khips.sys which was the last straw. I also found that it seemed to be mis-reporting which applications were making connections, or my machine is sick... probably a bit of both..

i was getting some wierd http corrupution with bad verbs and requests getting sent to the wrong server.. dunno if that was kerio on windows

Kerio does have the best reporting interface for seeing which application is using what bandwidth... call me crazy, but that is the most important feature on a firewall for me...



Sygate 5.6 was nice, but it lacked the above features and is no longer maintained. Comodo is a resource hog (why is the favicon an IE logo?) and lacks the decent bandwidth reporting... I hate the interface for Zone alarm, it's to simple aka user friendly but I haven't looked at it in a while either

So today i have downloaded Outpost Free edition. Which then updated itself to Outpost Pro, which then updated it self again. Three bloody reboots later and its working nice..... but they could make thing simpler.... I disabled all the content blocking stuff....

So we will see how it goes...

No comments: